Maintaining a healthy immune system is all about taking preventative measures to good health. Here are 5 ways to naturally boost your immune system:
1) Strengthen your gut- We know eating right is important for maintaining our health, but just how much can our diet affect our immune system? Studies have shown that consuming high amounts of sugar, processed foods, and refined carbohydrates can suppress your immune system. It’s important to eat foods that are rich in nutrients like vitamin c and e, zinc, and beta-carotene, such as sweet potatoes, carrots, kale, onions, apples, berries, etc. Adding fiber-rich foods can also help strengthen your gut and regulate your digestive system. In addition to eating fiber-rich foods, try eating foods that contain probiotics. Probiotics are healthy bacteria that help restore the balance of your gut if it contains unhealthy levels of bacteria. When we have more bad bacteria, our health is negatively affected- so, a healthy gut = a healthy immune system! RSP Nutrition’s TrueFit meal replacement powder contains prebiotic fiber and probiotics, along with 25g of grass-fed whey protein, 12 organic fruits and veggies, and MCT oil. They also have TrueFit plant protein powder which has the same ingredients as their grass fed whey, but is suitable for a vegan diet!
2. Get Adequate Rest- Maintaining a good night’s rest is essential when it comes to immunity. In fact, studies show that inadequate sleep makes you more prone to sickness and also affects how fast you will recover if you do get sick. While you sleep, your immune system releases cytokines, which are protein molecules that mediate and regulate immunity and inflammation. When you have an infection or are stressed, certain cytokines increase production. However, lack of sleep can decrease the production of these protective cytokines and infection-fighting antibodies. So, it’s important to get at least 7-8 hours of good sleep each night.
3. Zinc- Zinc is found in cells throughout the body and is an essential nutrient for people to maintain their health. It helps our immune system fight off bacteria and viruses and also helps wounds heal. The amount of zinc you should have every day depends on your age. On average, an adult male needs about 11mg of zinc per day and an adult female needs 8mg of zinc per day. You can find zinc in a variety of foods, such as oysters, red meat, seafood, poultry, beans, tofu, lentils, peas, and cashews.
4. Reduce Stress- Research shows that stress weakens the immune system. When our body experiences heightened stress levels, we release a hormone called cortisol. When our cortisol levels are high for a long period of time, our immune system may become “resistant” and considers this heightened stress response normal. The body will then continue to produce high levels of cortisol way after the stressor subsides, which will compromise the immune system and make you more susceptible to illness. That is why it’s important to practice ways on how to manage your stress. Mindfulness techniques, meditation, and yoga have all been proven effective in reducing stress!
5. Take a natural immunity booster- If you’re already starting to feel under the weather or fatigued, you can take an all natural immunity booster to get all the nutrients you need quickly. RSP’s Immunity + Hydration shot has a potent dose of organic coconut water, electrolytes & minerals (including Himalayan Pink Sea Salt) and amino acids for more rapid and effective hydration than water alone. Proper hydration can also boost your immunity. So, this shot is supercharged with a special blend that combines Vitamin C, Elderberry, Echinacea, Ginger and Astragalus to help boost your immune system.